John Sanderson Grant


About John Sanderson

  • Name
    John Sanderson
  • Initials
  • Surname
  • Date of Birth
  • Birth town
    Grangemouth, Stirling
  • Resided town
  • Commemorated
  • Nationality
  • Place of death
  • Date of death
  • Married
  • Occupation

Service Information

  • Army

  • Service Number
  • Rank
  • Regiment
    Army Service Corps


John Sanderson Grant was born in Grangemouth, Stirlingshire in 1894.  On the 1901 Census John, aged 7, was living at 244 Great Western Road, Glasgow with his widowed father, William (40), a mercantile clerk and siblings William, Mabel and Frederick.

John attested on 23 September 1914, and joined the 2nd Reserve Company Horse Transport Section, Army Service Corps.  His address at enlistment was “Avoca”, Bo’ness Road, Grangemouth, Stirlingshire.

He attended training camps at Stobs and Camelon, Scotland from May to October 1915, then Norwich and Worstead from May 1916 to January 1917. During this time, it appears he made a habit of being late for morning and evening roll call and stable duties, for which he was confined to barracks for a couple of days.  On 11 November 1916, he was given two days Field Punishment No 2 for disobeying an order when he rode as a passenger on military transport vehicle without authority.  Later, whilst on active service, he overstayed a leave pass from 26 February 1919 to 10 June 1919 (105 days), for which he was given 14 days Field Punishment No 2 and forfeited 105 days’ pay.

“Field Punishment Number 1 consisted of the convicted man being shackled in irons and secured to a fixed object, often a gun wheel or similar. He could only be thus fixed for up to 2 hours in 24, and not for more than 3 days in 4, or for more than 21 days in his sentence. This punishment was often known as ‘crucifixion’ and due to its humiliating nature was viewed by many soldiers as unfair. Field Punishment Number 2 was similar except the man was shackled but not fixed to anything. Both forms were carried out by the office of the Provost-Marshal, unless his unit was officially on the move when it would be carried out by his unit.”    

During June/July 1916, John underwent an operation for varicose veins at the Norfolk War Hospital. Ten days later on 18 July 1916, he was at Peterborough East Station and may have been going home for recuperation or returning to Norwich.

John transferred to the Inland Water & Docks Unit, Royal Engineers from 16 March 1917 carrying out the trade of fitter. He served in France on two occasions from 28 March 1917 and from 28 November 1917.  He was discharged on 18 August 1919, and gave his address as 26 Balmoral Avenue, Cathcart, Glasgow.  John was awarded the British War and Allied Victory Medals.

Please get in touch if you can tell us more about John.

You must be logged in to post a comment.